• GHA member Bonnie Goss of Goss’s Hosses, Earles Road, Middleburgh, NY, has returned from her sojourn to 90˚F Florida in penty of time to see snow at her place, & (get this, now) found it more pleasing than the heat! (Go figure, huh?) After safely depositing her mom, Bonnie & companion Kandi Cooke met up with former Northeasterner & now new Floridian Katie Anthony & spent “12 full hours of Disney fun,” which included Animal Kingdom & Magic Kingdom.
In the pre-rifle hunting season, Bonnie et al have been doing lots of trail & arena riding, but things get “a little spooky trail riding as hunting begins to open up.” She still dreads the rifle season for reasons far too gruesome & disturbing to retell here.
In the “horses never forget” (elephants got nothing on equines) department, Bonnie harnessed, hitched, & drove her Haflinger mare Clarabelle recently. Except for having to let out the surcingle a few notches, Clarabelle “drove off like she was driven the day before.” Despite having been ridden many hours this season to keep her weight in control, Clarabelle is such an easy keeper that she actually gained. Bonnie’s Aussie dog Willie, on the other hand, lost 13 pounds on his diet, and Bonnie says “That’s a whole dog almost.” (Does this mean Bonnie now has room for an additional dog on her place? Stay tuned.)
Find out if you can take advantage of riding indoors during big game rifle season. Call Bonnie at 518-827-6540.
• GHA member & author & artist Deb Tompkins of Greenville, NY, is as busy as any of Santa’s elves making wreaths & catnip rats for sale for Christmas giving & getting. In the spirit of the season, Deb donated 2 wreaths to the Festival of Trees in Catskill for which she won a 1st & a 2nd place award from the judges. The wreaths are made with 4 to 8 kinds of evergreens, natural &/or faux trims, in several colors & combinations, for $25. The catnip rats are hand-sewn & stuffed with organic catnip from head to tip of tail, big enough to wrestle & light enough to carry, in a wide choice of colors, for only $5. You supply the cat.
Deb’s been getting “lots of responses on Q being for sale.” The tricky part is finding the best match for him. The 2nd tricky part will be finding a (much!) narrower version of the statuesque equine to fill his figurative shoes. Deb knows “that won’t be easy…”
For equestrian gift giving (& getting), Deb has a list of good used stuff including an 18” hunt seat saddle with pad & fittings for $50, a 16.5” dressage saddle with pad & fittings & bridle for $100, a Bona Allen 15” stock saddle for $400, a western matching bridle & breastcollar with faux rawhide lace trim for $50, an antique (her granny’s!) 4 wheel buggy for $1200, & a set of 4 buggy wheels on rubber with axles for $500 for the do-it-yourself type.
To order wreaths & catnip rats, or for any of the horse equipment Deb has for sale, call her at 518-966-8629.
• GHA member Frisbee Agency, representative for Farm Family Insurance, located at 384B Main Street, Catskill, NY, is hosting a new artworks exhibit entitled Winter Wonderland, to run through February.
For full details on the show, including hours, & the artists, call Jill Lamanec at 518-943-3333, or email to email@example.com or to Laura Garramone at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• GHA member Lorelei Zuniga, of Rhine Siren Equestrian, a classical dressage focused boarding, lesson, & training facility, located at 790 State Route 990V, Gilboa, NY, has available for half-lease the 12-year-old Thoroughbred Simon. Rhine Siren Equestrian is located a mere 20 minutes from Windham, NY, & 45 minutes from HITS in Saugerties, NY. For details on all that the facility offers, call 518-821-3231 or go to www.rhinesiren.com.
• GHA member Carly Rose Palazzolo of Long Island, NY, says her beloved intelligent, playful, & all-around good natured off-track 13-year-old Thoroughbred gelding J.P. is doing well & enjoying his retirement at the Equine Rescue League of Cooperstown, NY, while still awaiting adoption. While routine rigorous riding is not in his future having been denervated due to navicular, J.P. can give pony rides to small children & might also be used as a therapy horse for special needs children.
Prospective adopters can learn more about J.P. by contacting Carly Rose at 516-647-0375, or email CarlyRose1022@gmail.com or go to Facebook at www.facebook.com/cpalazzolo2.
• Now that 2014 is on the horizon, GHA member, American Hoof Association Certified barefoot hoof care specialist, Equine Sciences Academy Field Instructor, & EasyCare Official Dealer Geri White of Middleburgh, NY, is taking time to reflect on 2013, remembering some of the horses in her life that have passed on: Connie’s rescued mare Anita, Kayla’s mare Jasmine & her fantastic recovery from lameness to riding again, Standardbred gelding Doc’s Call who raced for 15 years & spent the next 15 retired under the loving care of his owner Kathy, Lisa’s pretty buckskin mare Munches, & Sue’s sweet Appaloosa mare Strawberry.
Geri is thankful to all the horse owners she has worked with & for, thankful for the friendship, for being sent home with garden goodies, eggs, cookies, hand warmers, & books, thankful for their sharing their lives & their horses with her, & for the teamwork it took for many of them to go barefoot despite the odds. Geri says, “I am inspired by you. May your holidays be filled with love, family, & the joy we all share with our horses.”
To get on Geri’s mailing list for up-to-date information on all of the events Geri will be offering in the new year, contact Geri’s event coordinator Michelle Hall at email@example.com, or call Geri at 518-827-3181 or at 607-437-7993.
• GHA member Nancy Partridge of Mountain Brook Farm, Partridge Road, Ashland, NY, enjoyed the beautiful fall weather which allowed all at the Farm to have a great end to the riding season, with many happy kids & adults having had lessons & trail rides. Hunting season closed the Farm’s trails until the spring thaw, the ‘working crew’ has gone back to school & on to college, & in the case of head instructor/trainer (she trains heads?) Liz McGinnis, she is expecting her first child at the end of December. Being, as the saying goes, big with child, Liz mounted her trusty mare Misty &, with her harlequin Great Dane Gypsy tagging along, took her last ride on November 20, hanging up her bridle & saddle until spring when she will be back to teach lessons & train horses.
Samantha Simpfenderfer, a freshman at Cazenovia College, made the Varsity Western Riding Show Team & will be showing this coming season, a huge rarity as freshmen hardly ever get onto the Varsity team let alone actually compete on it. Sam more than proved herself worthy when she tried out for the team early in the semester. Everyone at the Farm is rooting for her, wishing her the best of luck showing & throughout all her college years.
Mountain Brook welcomes new horse owner Hetty Misenti & new horse boarder Nika. Lodged at the Farm for a bit of training & to find a new home, Nika met Hetty who came for lessons, & they fell in love. Papers were signed in September. Hetty’s 2 kids are excited to have a horse of their own to ride & are also taking lessons, starting them on the great path of horsemanship.
Space is still available for winter boarding for your horse. For details, call Nancy at 518-734-3917.
The entire gang at Mountain Brook Farm wishes everyone a happy & healthy holiday season, along with snow that’s not too deep, not too many days with sub-zero temperatures, & a quick thaw so that everyone can get (let’s sing it together!) back in the saddle again sooner rather than later.
• Pictured on the cover of this issue of PKA’s Advocate, the triple-registered PFHA/KMSHA/GHA stallion Contratercero a/k/a Bud of GHA member Patricia Keller of The Paso Fino Horse Farm, Little Westkill Road, Prattsville, NY, was the choice of artist Sarah Batalka for the drawing which she executed from a photograph of Bud taken by Patricia.
Holder of 2 PFHA National High Point titles in Long Distance Pleasure, PFHA National High Point title in Endurance Trail, 4-time GHA Horse of the Year, as well as several more honors & awards, Bud is the sire & grandsire of several stallions & mares available for purchase from The Paso Fino Horse Farm, all of whom are not only wonderfully well-gaited saddle horses, but gorgeous & personable, too. To find out how affordable any of Bud’s line really are, call Patricia at 518-299-3103. The Paso Fino Horse Farm is on facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/PasoFinoHorseFarm Check out the Paso Fino Horse Farm's website: http://PasoFinoHorseFarm.weebly.com
JOIN/REJOIN THE GHA•JOIN/REJOIN
• The GHA invites ANYONE & EVERYONE with an interest in horses, gaited or not, to join. For the Membership Year NOW through October 31, 2014 memberships are $20. Please see page 13 for the Membership Application. Join or renew your membership, network with fellow members, & get a whole bunch of great bonuses, including:
VENDOR DISCOUNTS FOR GHA MEMBERS
• MOORE’s MOTEL, Main Street (NYS Rte. 23), Prattsville, NY, discounts room rates for members 10% for a 1-night stay, 20% for 2 or more nights. For reservations, call 800-675-0626 or 518-299-3404.
• J.P.’s NORTH, 10251 NYS Route 32, Greenville, NY, offers members a 15% discount on NON-SALE items of English or Western gear. Call 800-237-4488.
• All GHA members receive a 25% discount on ANY advertising, whether for personal or business needs, in addition to the FREE CLASSIFIED in the GHA Newsletter, in PKA’s ADVOCATE. For details, call 518-299-3103.
FREE CLASSIFIED ADVERTISEMENTS
• GHA members get 1 FREE 20-word classified ad Per Issue for the membership year to buy or sell items or services having to do with horses. Ad copy can be changed with each issue. Deadline for ad information is 2 weeks prior to issue release (see page 4 for those dates).
MEMBERS’ CLASSIFIED ADVERTISEMENTS
•COMPANION HORSE FOR ADOPTION: JP, 12-year-old off-track Thoroughbred gelding, funny & sweet, enjoys giving pony rides to small children. 516-647-0375 (Long Island, NY)
•PASO FINOS FOR SALE: Saddlebrook Acres Paso Finos always has a great selection of well-bred, smooth gaited, registered Paso Finos at affordable prices. 518-872-1382 (East Berne, NY)
•TESSALOO VETERINARY SERVICES, PLLC: Heather O’Leary, DVM, CVA, CVSMT: certified veterinary acupuncturist & spinal manipulative therapist for conventional veterinary services & equine & small animal acupuncture & chiropractic. 845-399-9844 (Stone Ridge, NY)
•HACIENDA DE LA ROCA PASO FINOS: standing Rayito de la Roca for 2013 breeding; sales, all-breed boarding, lessons, & pony rides (by app’t.); home of Grand National Champion Pleasure Stallion Capitanejo. 607-588-7567 & 607-437-8040 (Gilboa, NY)
•STAR H EQUINE INSURANCE for Farm/Ranch Property Insurance, Liability Insurance, & Horse Insurance, over 35 years of insurance experience from active, knowledgeable horse people. 877-827-4480 (Advance, NC)
•FRISBEE AGENCY, FARM FAMILY INSURANCE: 1-stop shopping for your equine insurance program, hosting quarterly revolving art shows at their offices on Main Street. 518-943-3333 (Catskill, NY)
•RHINE SIREN EQUESTRIAN: dressage focused boarding, lesson & training facility, 72’ x 200’ indoor arena, 45 minutes from HITS, stalls currently available, warmbloods for sale. 518-821-3231, www.rhinesiren.com (Gilboa, NY)
•MOUNTAIN BROOK FARM: pasture & 12’ x 12’ matted stall boarding, training, instruction for all breeds & disciplines, reasonable rates, scenic trails, breeding Peruvian Horses. 518-734-3917 (Ashland, NY)
•ANTIQUE BUGGY, 4 carriage wheels on axles, Bona Allen saddle, buckstitched bridle, matching reins & breastcollar, hunt seat saddle, dressage saddle, pad, bridle, & fittings. 518-966-8629 (Greenville, NY)
•BAREFOOT HOOF CARE by Geri White, natural trimming & rehabilitation, Equine Sciences Academy Practitioner. firstname.lastname@example.org & www.nativehoof.com. 518-827-3181 (Middleburgh, NY)
•HUGE INVENTORY OF ENGLISH & WESTERN tack & clothing, always great prices, & discounts for GHA members at J.P.’s North, NYS Route 32, Greenville. 800-237-4488.
•ALL-BREED BOARDING & TRAINING, lessons in English & Western, & quality horses for sale at Goss’s Hosses. 518-827-6540 (Middleburgh, NY)
•HORSE PEOPLE! NEED HELP WITH YOUR TAXES? Call Helmedach & Young– we’re both tax experts & horse people. 518-943-2000 (Catskill, NY)
•DOUBLE-REGISTERED PASO FINO/GAITED HORSE stallions & mares with the fine gait, outstanding beauty, lovable character, & bloodlines of Contratercero a/k/a/ Bud. 518-299-3103 http://PasoFinoHorseFarm.weebly.com https://www.facebook.com/PasoFinoHorseFarm (Prattsville, NY)