• Hearty GHA congratulations to GHA member Lillian Helmedach of Helmedach & Young, Inc., Tax Preparers, located at 456 Main Street, Catskill, NY, & to her husband Joe Helmedach on celebrating their 40th (!) wedding anniversary (to each other, no less) on March 30.
In addition to enjoying 2 score years of marriage, Lillian is also still enjoying her 16-year-old Bavarian Warmblood Diego who is doing well.
Troubled by tax time? Helmedach & Young, Inc., Tax Preparers can help prepare your taxes. You, however, still have to pony up the bucks (get it?) To make an appointment, call Lillian at 518-943-2000.
• GHA business member, American Hoof Association Certified barefoot hoof care specialist, Equine Sciences Academy Field Instructor, & EasyCare Official Dealer Geri White of Middleburgh, NY, has a success story that warms the heart. Back in February of ’12, the paint Bojangles went into foster care at Geri’s Native Hoof Barn for rehab & for the expertise of the Native Hoof & the Ravenhill teams as he was afflicted with Lyme disease, central sulcus infections in both forefeet, & an atrophied body caused by inactivity for 2 years subsequent to an injury. At 8 years old, Bo moved like a 30-year-old. Geri & company began a regimen of nutritional therapy, immune boosting supplements, herbs, homeopathy, chiropractic adjustments, Reiki & massage, natural balance dentistry, & daily exercises.
The infections healed in 2 or 3 weeks. Recently, Bo initiated a play session with Geri’s herd, rolled over for the 1st time anyone saw, & engaged in mutual grooming with a herdmate. His improvements have been, as Geri puts it, “…like watching a flower open.”
No longer acting like a geriatric (no pun intended) horse, he has muscled up, is able to move, spar, rear, twist, buck, run at speed, & be able to do it again the next day without hesitation. His improvement in a single year has exceeded even Geri’s expectations.
You can view parts of Bo’s return journey to health & happiness at Geri’s website: www.nativehoof.com/videos entitled Bo’s Victory Dance. Eventually, he will have his own page on the site detailing the alternative therapy approach Geri & her teammates have employed.
If your horse is having hoof problems, Geri offers this reminder: “There is a horse attached to those feet, & quite often the hooves are just a symptom of other problems.”
To schedule a session with Geri that is more than just a trim for your horse, & for current information about Geri & the Ravenhill Equine Wellness Center, you can reach Geri at 518-827-3181 or at 607-437-7993, or connect with her at email@example.com or at www.nativehoof.com.
• Despite the few mild days early in January, GHA member Bonnie Goss of Goss’s Hosses, Earles Road, Middleburgh, NY, knew unequivocally that it must be winter time since her winter boarders have arrived so some (smart? lucky? soft?) people can stay warm in Florida. The stablemates Texas, Tee, & Molly were happy to see all their buddies return.
Looking ahead & seeing spring was too far away, Katie Anthony moved in Miss Luna to take advantage of the indoor arena to test out her new pretty little chestnut mare.
GHA congratulations to Jeremy on his graduation from SUNY Morrisville in December. Bonnie notes that, while he is enjoying Aruba at the moment, he better get his long johns out as he has landed a training job on a Paint farm in Minnesota (the cold weather capital of the universe) starting in February.
Bonnie is very happy with the progress her little hurricane Irene is making, & hopes to have her ready for lessons by spring. Bonnie says Irene is a sensible little mare & must be smart to have survived her namesake.
Bonnie’s niece Jodi Barnes & great niece Nicole rescued a yearling paint pony from Maryland made homeless by Frankenstorm Sandy. Bonnie sees some pony training their future. The rescuee is a big pony who will likely mature to about 14 hands. Nicole is very pleased with her new buddy.
If you’re interested in following Katie Anthony into Bonnie’s indoor arena through winter weather, or riding lessons, or training for your horse, call Bonnie at 518-827-6540.
• GHA member Blair Breard of Prattsville & New York City will soon need a bigger cap what with all the feathers she can lodge there. The Emmy Award nominated executive producer of the hit FX cable network TV show Louie is “so glad to be a part of the show” which has now been nominated for a Directors Guild Association award for the episode of “New Year’s Eve” in the show’s 3rd season.
• When Blair isn’t hard at work producing award winning shows or producing movies, she often hits the trail, joining Patricia & Roland Keller of The Paso Fino Horse Farm, Little Westkill Road, Prattsville, NY. Every other month, when the new PKA’s Advocate issue is published, the 3 riders mount up as PKA’s Paso Express to distribute copies through the Westkill Valley.
You, too, can mount your own Paso Express, or at least mount your own Paso Fino, just by calling the Kellers at 518-299-3103 & finding the right Paso Fino for you. You will, of course, have to provide your own papers to deliver.
• In an unprecedented turn of events, GHA member Nancy Partridge of Mountain Brook Farm, Partridge Road, Ashland, NY, reports that, for the first time in living memory, she has nothing to report! (Who knew?)
However(!), happily, Mountain Brook Farm is still ready, willing, & able to schedule lessons & training for you or your horse. Just call Nancy at 518-734-3917.
• GHA member & author & artist Deb Tompkins of Greenville, NY, has good news which is bad news, or vice-versa. Like so many of us, Deb lives in the Northern Hemisphere, so daylight is in short supply & she loses most of that daylight to a job, but she has an income. So it’s not a total loss, just an irksome trade-off.
On the equestrian front, Deb says her statuesque steed Q has been helping with the chores, “as well he should since I’m always telling him there is something wrong with this arrangement when I always seem to be doing more work than him.” (Sound familiar, doesn’t it?)
Now, she & Q combine work with play. With Q in harness & his hay on an old wooden hand sled, Deb perches on the hay & drives Q’s hay out to the spring on nice days. Other days, Q does not dine al fresco, but in his shed.
Deb says Q is very good & his ‘park’ (as in don’t move) gear is excellent. Deb thinks every good horse should know how to drive (even a standard shift?) & that it comes in handy for so many things.
• GHA member Marilyn Wyckoff of Hacienda de la Roca Paso Finos, located on Wyckoff Road, Gilboa, NY, is pleased to announce that the Hacienda’s homegrown Paso Fino stallion Rayito de la Roca is standing at stud at the Hacienda for the 2013 breeding season.
But if you can’t wait till 2014 for your mare to produce a wellbred Paso Fino, you’re in luck because the Hacienda is offering for sale the 3-year-old Paso Fino gelding Rocky.
For details on Rayito & Rocky, call the Wyckoff’s at the Hacienda at 607-588-7567 or 607-437-8040.
JOIN/REJOIN THE GHA•JOIN/REJOIN
• The GHA invites ANYONE & EVERYONE with an interest in horses, gaited or not, to join. For the Membership Year NOW through October 31, 2013 memberships are $20. Please see page 13 for the Membership Application. Join or renew your membership, network with fellow members, & get a whole bunch of great bonuses, including:
VENDOR DISCOUNTS FOR GHA MEMBERS
• MOORE’s MOTEL, Main Street (NYS Rte. 23), Prattsville, NY, discounts room rates for members 10% for a 1-night stay, 20% for 2 or more nights. For reservations, call 800-675-0626 or 518-299-3404.
• J.P.’s NORTH, 10251 NYS Route 32, Greenville, NY, offers members a 15% discount on NON-SALE items of English or Western gear. Call 800-237-4488.
• PKA PUBLICATIONS offers GHA members a $2 discount off the $8.95 cover price for a signed copy of the mystery novel, Pardee Holler, by Roland Keller. Send $6.95 (check or money order) to PKA, 1881 Little Westkill Road, Prattsville, NY 12468. Include your name & address.
• All GHA members receive a 25% discount on ANY advertising, whether for personal or business needs, in addition to the FREE CLASSIFIED in the GHA Newsletter, in PKA’s ADVOCATE. For details, call 518-299-3103.
FREE CLASSIFIED ADVERTISEMENTS
• GHA members get 1 FREE 20-word classified ad Per Issue for the membership year to buy or sell items or services having to do with horses. Ad copy can be changed with each issue. Deadline for ad information is 2 weeks prior to issue release (see page 4 for dates).
MEMBERS’ CLASSIFIED ADVERTISEMENTS
•MD BARNMASTER & LOK-N-LOGS: for equestrian barns with the rustic elegance of wood with kick-proof & chew-proof stall systems you design. 315-539-3130 & 315-480-7586 (Waterloo & Sherburne, NY)
•BIG RED’S EQUINE DENTISTRY: Deanna Marlow, IAED/C, Getting your horses’ minds out of their mouths; by appointment only. firstname.lastname@example.org, WWW.BIGREDSDENTAL.COM, 315-481-3606
•STAR H EQUINE INSURANCE for Farm/Ranch Property Insurance, Liability Insurance, & Horse Insurance, over 35 years of insurance experience from active, knowledgeable horse people. 877-827-4480 (Advance, NC)
•SHADOWROCK EQUINE VETERINARY SERVICES: broad range of equine veterinary services including lay-ups & medical boarding under direct veterinary supervision & emergency service. 607-432-5721 [emergencies: 607-431-8680] (Oneonta, NY)
•DURHAM VALLEY FARM BOARDING: large stalls, daily turnout, large wooden paddocks, best nutrition, full & rough board, layups, retired, & active equines. 518-634-7003 (East Durham, NY)
•RHINE SIREN EQUESTRIAN: classical training, limited number of stalls, 31 serene acres, 72’ x 200’ indoor arena with new footing, regulation outdoor dressage arena. 518-821-3231, www.rhinesiren.com (Gilboa, NY)
•PASO FINOS FOR SALE: Saddlebrook Acres Paso Finos always has a great selection of well-bred, smooth gaited, registered Paso Finos at affordable prices. 518-872-1382 (East Berne, NY)
•MOUNTAIN BROOK FARM: pasture & 12’ x 12’ matted stall boarding, training, instruction for all breeds & disciplines, reasonable rates, scenic trails, breeding Peruvian Horses. 518-734-3917 (Ashland, NY)
•TESSALOO VETERINARY SERVICES, PLLC: Heather O’Leary, DVM, CVA, CVSMT: certified veterinary acupuncturist & spinal manipulative therapist providing conventional veterinary services & equine & small animal acupuncture & chiropractic. 845-399-9844 (Stone Ridge, NY)
•ANTIQUE BUGGY, 4 carriage wheels on axles, Bona Allen saddle, buckstitched bridle, matching reins & breastcollar, hunt seat saddle, dressage saddle, pad, bridle, & fittings. 518-966-8629 (Greenville, NY)
•BAREFOOT HOOF CARE by Geri White, natural trimming & rehabilitation, Equine Sciences Academy Practitioner. email@example.com & www.nativehoof.com. 518-827-3181 (Middleburgh, NY)
•HACIENDA DE LA ROCA FINE PASO FINOS: breeding, sales, all-breed boarding, lessons, & pony rides (by app’t.); home of Grand National Champion Pleasure Stallion Capitanejo. 607-588-7567 & 607-437-8040 (Gilboa, NY)
•HOUSE FOR RENT AT PROMISES KEPT EQUINE RETIREMENT FARM: 2 bedrooms, 2 baths, office, dining area, fireplace, porch, garage, $900/month, optional horse boarding. www.promiseskept.org & 518-287-1870 (Summit, NY)
•HUGE INVENTORY OF ENGLISH & WESTERN tack & clothing, always great prices, & discounts for GHA members at J.P.’s North, NYS Route 32, Greenville. 800-237-4488.
•ECKER HOLLOW STABLES: riding & boarding facility with indoor & lighted outdoor arenas, trails; a caring facility in business 30 years. 518-296-8314 (Schoharie, NY)
•ALL-BREED BOARDING & TRAINING, lessons in English & Western, & quality horses for sale at Goss’s Hosses. 518-827-6540 (Middleburgh, NY)
•HORSE PEOPLE! NEED HELP WITH YOUR TAXES? Call Helmedach & Young– we’re both tax experts & horse people. 518-943-2000 (Catskill, NY)
•DOUBLE-REGISTERED PASO FINO/GAITED HORSES with the fine gait, outstanding beauty, & lovable character of the bloodlines of Contratercero a/k/a/ Bud. http://PasoFinoHorseFarm.weebly.com 518-299-3103 (Prattsville, NY)
VISIT THE GAITED HORSE ASSOCIATION ON FACEBOOK & LIK