• In early November, GHA member & author & artist Deb Tompkins of Greenville, NY, took advantage of the balmy weather & had “been getting in some woods riding before idiot season (read: hunting season) starts.” Maybe next year, she’ll just spray paint her mount Q day-glo orange.
With gift-giving season approaching, Deb is selling an assortment of horse related items, including her granny’s antique buggy for $1000, a pair of rubber-tired wooden wheels on an axle for $500, a Meadowbrook cart for $500, a Bona Allen saddle for $400, 2 hunt seat saddles at $50 each, & a dressage saddle with girth, pad, & bridle or $100.
To check out these deals, you can reach Deb at 518-966-8629 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Competitive reining riders GHA members Lucinda & Butch Human of Star H Insurance, Advance, NC, had a short/tall problem. As Lucinda puts it, “Our wonderful 3-year-old Appaloosa gelding grew too big! A nice slow pleasure bred Appaloosa, with a kind eye and a kind heart, needed to have a new home as we just didn’t have the time to give him the education he needed (plus he grew too tall for Butch to get on him from the ground! Ha).”
Zippy’s education is now a sure thing as Lucinda & Butch donated him to Martin Community College in Williamston, NC. Zippy has not yet decided on a major, but in response to Lucinda’s anxious inquiry a week later, the college’s Equine Facilities Manager wrote back that “He has settled in great! … He is exactly what we needed…”
Despite providing the education he deserves, college is not likely to make Zippy any shorter.
If you’ve got a short/tall insurance problem (coverage that’s too short & bills that are too tall), Star H Insurance can help. You can reach Lucinda & Butch at 336-940-5455 or at 877-827-4480 or at Lucinda@starhinsurance.com or go to www.starHinsurance.com.
• GHA member & cowboy poet Mark Munzert of MD Barnmaster of NY, a subsidiary of Lok-N-Logs, Inc., with model centers in Waterloo & Sherburne, NY, is a man on a mission (& often on a horse, too). The mission is “to build the best equestrian barns… kick-proof, chew-proof, darn near fire-proof, & low maintenance so you can enjoy being a horse owner.” With MD Barnmaster, you can have exactly the design you want to make you & your horse happy.
Mark & company will be at the Horse World Expo at the Pennsylvania Farm Show Complex in Harrisburg, PA, February 21 to 24. For details, call Mark at 315-539-3130 or at 315-480-7586 or go to www.MDBarnmasterny.com or to https://www.facebook.com/MDBarnmasterOfNewYork?ref=ts&fref=ts or to http://www.MDBarnmaster.com or you can email Mark directly at email@example.com.
• GHA member Bonnie Goss of Goss’s Hosses, Earles Road, Middleburgh, NY, says her ‘world famous’ Ladies Drill Team (okay, maybe not that famous) has been on hold pending the resolution of some medical issues (not code for horse wrecks?) & hopes Chris & Renee get better.
Bonnie & Kandi Cooke recently drove Bonnie’s mom south for winter (smart mom) & while there visited Cedar Key, an island off Florida’s west coast that time left behind in the 1940s– no Micky D’s, Burger King, et cetera. Bonnie & Kandi happened to be there during their seafood festival, but cleverly returned north in time for winter(?!).
Under the heading “Whew! Glad That’s Over,” Bonnie reports that Kat Shaufelberger of Brooklyn, NY, who now owns the former Goss Hoss Tina the leopard Appaloosa, weathered Frankenstorm Sandy okay. Kat’s husband, the famous Zak Orth, is in the cast of the NBC Monday night show Revolutions which airs at 10 PM. Bonnie hasn’t been able to stay up late enough to watch all the episodes, so enter the Internet.
Bonnie’s son Tony has submitted a draft of his film Welcome to Happy Valley to the (genuinely) world famous Sundance Film Festival, so everyone should keep a couple of fingers crossed for good things to happen with it.
Meanwhile, Bonnie has stalls available. Boarders can take advantage of Goss’s Hosses indoor arena & get out of the snow & cold & ride all winter. After 25 years, Bonnie is still thrilled to be able to keep working horses on cold & rainy days. If you want the same thrill, or riding lessons, or training for your horse, call Bonnie at 518-827-6540.
• GHA business member, American Hoof Association Certified barefoot hoof care specialist, Equine Sciences Academy Field Instructor, & EasyCare Official Dealer Geri White of Middleburgh, NY, had a very successful 2-day Hoof Trimming Clinic at Ravenhill Equine Wellness Center in Northampton, MA, in September, with an enthusiastic group of 7 hands-on participants, some auditors, & perfect weather. The curriculum included class time, cadaver trimming & dissection, assessing a demo horse, pulling shoes, hoof boot options, recommendations for growing healthy feet (on your horse, of course), & actual trimming of a front hoof & a hind hoof under Geri’s supervision. Among the participants was Nicole Birkholzer of Mindful Connections. You can read her blog post Natural Hoof Trimming, Sept. 28, 2012, at http://www.mindful-connections.com/
Geri’s sojourn at Equine Affaire in November, sandwiched between trimming clinics in Connecticut & in Massachusetts, connected her with hundreds of people intrigued by the Ravenhill team approach to horse health, & many of them expressed an interest in scheduling educational clinics as well as the team’s individual services. It appears that Geri will have a full schedule for 2013.
To schedule your own session with Geri for your horse, & for current information about Geri & the Ravenhill Equine Wellness Center, call Geri at 518-827-3181 or at 607-437-7993, or connect with her at firstname.lastname@example.org or at www.nativehoof.com.
• GHA member Nancy Partridge of Mountain Brook Farm, Partridge Road, Ashland, NY, hosted the 30-year reunion of college colleagues Jennifer Boggia, Andrea Larson, & Lori Steinborn with a spectacular autumn Mountain Brook trail ride. Despite a long riding hiatus, the 3 college graduates rode like old pros, guided by the Farm’s trainer/instructor Liz McGinnis & “barn kid” Jane Rion. Nancy took photos, preserving the event for posterity.
Soon after, Mountain Brook Farm hosted Peruvian Horse trainer Marcos Castillo who came to see the Farm, the horses, & to have lunch with Nancy, Liz McGinnis, & Farm associates Noelle Rion, Doris Monahan-Glaviano, & Nancy’s aunt Liz Dewell. In addition to being pleased with the farm & it’s atmosphere, Marcos was suitably impressed with 4-year-old Peruvian stallion Bohemio Magnifico who is about to become a papa this spring, an event everyone at the Farm (if not the whole planet) is eagerly awaiting.
Happily, Nancy’s Peruvian mares Alma de la Montaña & Corazon, who have been laid up for a couple of months, are well on their way to recovery. An ultra sound of Alma’s leg showed the injury to her leg was healing slightly quicker than her veterinarian expected.
The gang at Mountain Brook Farm is very happy & a little sad (they are of 2 minds) to report that Paco, the Paso Fino who needed a new home, has settled into a great home at Rookery Ranch in Keene, NY, with Nicky Frechette & Helene Watrous, arranged through GHA networking.
Everyone at Mountain Brook is happy that Frankenstorm Sandy was less than predicted for the “high lands.” They send their deepest condolences to those in New York & New Jersey who suffered such terrible losses from her destructive wrath. After Hurricane Irene blew through upstate NY last year, they know all too well the hardships & life changes that come from such destructive storms.
But now things are back to normal at Mountain Brook, so you can take advantage of the great offerings for both you & your horse. For details, call Nancy at 518-734-3917.
• GHA member Lorelei Zuniga of Rhine Siren Equestrian, 790 State Route 990V, Gilboa, NY, has the perfect place for the aspiring or accomplished dressage rider. Rhine Siren Equestrian is the home of classical dressage focused boarding, lessons, & training with facilities that include a bright 72’ x 200’ indoor arena, 66’ x 198’ outdoor arena, & jump course on 31 pastoral & secluded acres that are only 45 minutes from H.I.T.S. Saugerties, 35 minutes from SUNY Cobleskill, 20 minutes from Windham, & 45 minutes from Oneonta.
For the horseless dressage aficionado who needs to find a prospective mount, Rhine Siren Equestrian is offering a 1/2 lease on a 1st level dressage gelding.
To learn about this horse or any of Rhine Siren’s offerings, visit Lorelei’s website www.rhinesiren.com or contact her at email@example.com or at 518-821-3231.
• GHA member Blair Breard of New York City & Prattsville, NY, the Emmy Award nominated executive producer of the hit FX cable network TV show Louie, has gone from behind the camera to center stage, starring in the video, Learning to Trim at the Paso Fino Horse Farm, produced & (secretly) videographed by GHA member Patricia Keller of The Paso Fino Horse Farm of Prattsville, NY. In this slightly-less-than-major motion picture true life documentary, Blair trims the hooves of the Paso Fino mare Preciosa under the guidance of instructor & GHA member Roland Keller, also of The Paso Fino Horse Farm. You can view it at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtjn1nyeb5s&feature=plcp
To view The Paso Fino Horse Farm video on YouTube:
If you want more of this stuff, the Facebook links are:
If you prefer to see actual, real life Paso Finos (just in case you think you might want to own such), you can actually telephone (!) the Kellers at 518-299-3103.
JOIN/REJOIN THE GHA•JOIN/REJOIN
• The GHA invites ANYONE & EVERYONE with an interest in horses, gaited or not, to join. For the Membership Year NOW through October 31, 2013 memberships are $20. Please see page 13 for the Membership Application. Join or renew your membership, network with fellow members, & get a whole bunch of great bonuses, including:
VENDOR DISCOUNTS FOR GHA MEMBERS
• MOORE’s MOTEL, Main Street (NYS Rte. 23), Prattsville, NY, discounts room rates for members 10% for a 1-night stay, 20% for 2 or more nights. For reservations, call 800-675-0626 or 518-299-3404.
• J.P.’s NORTH, 10251 NYS Route 32, Greenville, NY, offers members a 15% discount on NON-SALE items of English or Western gear. Call 800-237-4488.
• PKA PUBLICATIONS offers GHA members a $2 discount off the $8.95 cover price for a signed copy of the mystery novel, Pardee Holler, by Roland Keller. Send $6.95 (check or money order) to PKA, 1881 Little Westkill Road, Prattsville, NY 12468. Include your name & address.
• All GHA members receive a 25% discount on ANY advertising, whether for personal or business needs, in addition to the FREE CLASSIFIED in the GHA Newsletter, in PKA’s ADVOCATE. For details, call 518-299-3103.
FREE CLASSIFIED ADVERTISEMENTS
• GHA members get 1 FREE 20-word classified ad Per Issue for the membership year to buy or sell items or services having to do with horses. Ad copy can be changed with each issue. Deadline for ad information is 2 weeks prior to issue release (see page 4 for dates).
MEMBERS’ CLASSIFIED ADVERTISEMENTS
•MD BARNMASTER & LOK-N-LOGS: for equestrian barns with the rustic elegance of wood with kick-proof & chew-proof stall systems you design. 315-539-3130 & 315-480-7586 (Waterloo & Sherburne, NY)
•BIG RED’S EQUINE DENTISTRY: Deanna Marlow, IAED/C, Getting your horses’ minds out of their mouths; by appointment only. firstname.lastname@example.org, WWW.BIGREDSDENTAL.COM, 315-481-3606
•STAR H EQUINE INSURANCE for Farm/Ranch Property Insurance, Liability Insurance, & Horse Insurance, over 35 years of insurance experience from active, knowledgeable horse people. 877-827-4480 (Advance, NC)
•SHADOWROCK EQUINE VETERINARY SERVICES: broad range of equine veterinary services including lay-ups & medical boarding under direct veterinary supervision & emergency service. 607-432-5721 [emergencies: 607-431-8680] (Oneonta, NY)
•DURHAM VALLEY FARM BOARDING: large stalls, daily turnout, large wooden paddocks, best nutrition, full & rough board, layups, retired, & active equines. 518-634-7003 (East Durham, NY)
•RHINE SIREN EQUESTRIAN: classical training, limited number of stalls, 31 serene acres, 72’ x 200’ indoor arena with new footing, regulation outdoor dressage arena. 518-821-3231, www.rhinesiren.com (Gilboa, NY)
•PASO FINOS FOR SALE: Saddlebrook Acres Paso Finos always has a great selection of well-bred, smooth gaited, registered Paso Finos at affordable prices. 518-872-1382 (East Berne, NY)
•MOUNTAIN BROOK FARM: pasture & 12’ x 12’ matted stall boarding, training, instruction for all breeds & disciplines, reasonable rates, scenic trails, breeding Peruvian Horses. 518-734-3917 (Ashland, NY)
•TESSALOO VETERINARY SERVICES, PLLC: Heather O’Leary, DVM, CVA, CVSMT: certified veterinary acupuncturist & spinal manipulative therapist providing conventional veterinary services & equine & small animal acupuncture & chiropractic. 845-399-9844 (Stone Ridge, NY)
•ANTIQUE BUGGY, 4 carriage wheels on axles, Bona Allen saddle, buckstitched bridle, matching reins & breastcollar, hunt seat saddle, dressage saddle, pad, bridle, & fittings. 518-966-8629 (Greenville, NY)
•BAREFOOT HOOF CARE by Geri White, natural trimming & rehabilitation, Equine Sciences Academy Practitioner. email@example.com & www.nativehoof.com. 518-827-3181 (Middleburgh, NY)
•HACIENDA DE LA ROCA FINE PASO FINOS: breeding, sales, all-breed boarding, lessons, & pony rides (by app’t.); home of Grand National Champion Pleasure Stallion Capitanejo. 607-588-7567 & 607-437-8040 (Gilboa, NY)
•HOUSE FOR RENT AT PROMISES KEPT EQUINE RETIREMENT FARM: 2 bedrooms, 2 baths, office, dining area, fireplace, porch, garage, $900/month, optional horse boarding. www.promiseskept.org & 518-287-1870 (Summit, NY)
•HUGE INVENTORY OF ENGLISH & WESTERN tack & clothing, always great prices, & discounts for GHA members at J.P.’s North, NYS Route 32, Greenville. 800-237-4488.
•ECKER HOLLOW STABLES: riding & boarding facility with indoor & lighted outdoor arenas, trails; a caring facility in business 30 years. 518-296-8314 (Schoharie, NY)
•ALL-BREED BOARDING & TRAINING, lessons in English & Western, & quality horses for sale at Goss’s Hosses. 518-827-6540 (Middleburgh, NY)
•HORSE PEOPLE! NEED HELP WITH YOUR TAXES? Call Helmedach & Young– we’re both tax experts & horse people. 518-943-2000 (Catskill, NY)
•DOUBLE-REGISTERED PASO FINO/GAITED HORSES with the fine gait, outstanding beauty, & lovable character of the bloodlines of Contratercero a/k/a/ Bud. 518-299-3103 (Prattsville, NY)