• GHA member Frisbee Agency, representative for Farm Family Insurance, located at 384B Main Street, Catskill, NY, is mounting the exhibit “Still Life 1,” inspired by the work of Vincent Van Gogh, beginning on December 13 & continuing through March 2015. The exhibit is open to paintings, drawings, photos, collages, framed art, & small sculpture based on the theme of the Still Life.
Artists are encouraged to submit prospective works to the Frisbee Agency for inclusion in the display. For details on how to go about that, or for information on Farm Family Insurance, contact the agency at 518-943-3333.
• GHA condolences to GHA member Bonnie Goss of Goss’s Hosses, Earles Road, Middleburgh, NY, on the loss of 2 pets. Unexpected & heartbreaking, Bonnie’s big bright colored overo paint Flash recently passed away. So, too, did her pet goat Cally, whom Bonnie got as a 4-week-old bottle-baby orphan. “What a character he was!” Bonnie says, adding, “He lived a nice long life & his passing was not a surprise as he was going downhill with old age.”
In more joyful news, Bonnie & Doug had a wonderful vacation. After chauffering Bonnie’s mom to Florida (clever mom!), they rented a car to take a scenic route home, passing through Plains, GA. Bonnie has high praise for the Historic Inn, in the creation of which former president & first lady Jimmy & Rosalyn Carter were very involved. The Inn has only 7 rooms, each with a decade theme– 1920’s, 1930’s, etc.– done in period antiques down to the smallest detail.
They drove much of The Crooked Road through southern Virginia, with its music venues & jam sessions, including bluegrass, old time music, & friendly people, & Bonnie & Doug got to do some dancing in Coeburn & at the Carter Family Fold. Not only did Bonnie get to kick back & relax at J.P. Carter’s log cabin birthplace, she actually got to sit in Johnny Cash’s rocking chair.
Meanwhile back at the barn, Renee South’s mare Chancey, who returned for a training tune-up, remembers much of what Bonnie taught her when she was there for training a few years back. Bonnie likes working with such a sane & sensible mare. Kandi Cook never really did get along with her mare Tee, so Tee has gone to Long Island with a young girl who loves her, & Kandi is riding Houston (a/k/a Snapple) who will join Texas & Molly at Goss’s Hosses in December while Kandi basks in the Florida sun (clever Kandi!).
Eventually, Bonnie will be looking for a replacement horse, but she’s in no hurry. Until then, it’s happy trails on Clarabelle (heigh-ho Clarabelle, away! more or less).
Got a horse for Bonnie? Need a horse trained or boarded, or trained & boarded? If so, call Bonnie at 518-827-6540.
• Under the heading “Young at Heart,” the 26-year-old Arabian gelding Thunder Grey, who belongs to GHA members Thea & John Kenul of Long Island & Lexington, NY, is once again fully active, going out on trail rides & (even) doing some low jumping after a prolonged recovery from a hairline fracture of a hind leg. The beneficial veterinary care Grey received was augmented by the devotion & care from Thea & John who kept his morale high & never gave up on him despite the severity of his injury & his age.
• GHA member & GHA supporter JP’s North, Inc., 10251 NYS Route 32, Greenville, NY, purveyors of English & Western tack & attire, is holding the last of its 2014 Small Animal Auctions on December 14, commencing at 10:30 AM & preceded by a Miscellaneous Merchandise sale. For more information & in case of inclement weather, call JP’s at 800-237-4488.
• GHA member Nancy Partridge of Mountain Brook Farm, Partridge Road, Ashland, NY, is (already) looking forward to warmer & more comfortable riding weather now that summer & fall are coming to quick & cold end.
Mountain Brook Farm takes justifiable pride in noting that Farm’s “barn girls” are all doing well at their respective schools. Olivia Kornbrek is thriving as a high school freshman at the Windham-Ashland-Jewett Central School, Jane Rion is “rocking” her freshman year at SUNY Brockport, & Samantha Simpfenderfer is doing great as a junior at Cazenovia College majoring in Equine Business Management. Samantha has even landed a part-time gig as weekend help at an quine vet clinic (but what does she do in her spare time?).
Despite the looming winter (where’s global warming when you need it, huh?), it’s never too soon to start planning for spring trail rides, lessons, & horse & rider training at Mountain Brook Farm. Not to mention that the Farm does have stall & pasture board space available through the winter (but we mention it anyway). So stretch out your dialing finger & call Nancy at 518-734-3917.
• GHA member Lorelei Zuniga of Rhine Siren Equestrian, a classical dressage focused boarding, lesson, & training facility, located at 790 State Route 990V, Gilboa, NY, is fully prepared to help both aspiring & accomplished riders, & anyone in between, to master an array of equestrian skills, up to & including jumping (the horse jumps, the rider stays on the horse– amazing, isn’t it?) To learn all that Rhine Siren offers, give Lorelie a call at 518-821-3231 or go to www.rhinesiren.com.
• GHA congratulations to GHA members attorney Deb Scotto & her daughter Sofia Ditullio of Lexington & Brooklyn, NY, on their recent acquisition of the mother-daughter Paso Fino pair Preciosa de Saddlebrook (a/k/a Precious) & Ay Coco Caramba from The Paso Fino Horse Farm, Prattsville, NY. In a joyfully cosmically balanced way, Deb rides Coco & daughter Sofia rides Coco’s mom Preciosa (very neat, no?). When not actually on Coco, Deb is hip-deep preparing their Lexington home to receive the horses (the spare bedroom is too small) while Sofia is hip-deep enjoying the riding, smiling all the way.
• Under the heading “There’s a 1st Time for Everything,” GHA members Patricia & Roland Keller of The Paso Fino Horse Farm, Prattsville, NY, called in equine dental technician Daryl Webster for the 28-year-old Standardbred gelding The Mighty Columbo. With the help of a mild sedative (not nitrous oxide) administered by Dr. Dan Sullivan, DVM, of the Grand Gorge Animal Hospital in (where else?) Grand Gorge, Columbo bravely faced the dentist & is now once again happily consuming prodigious amounts of hay.
When not actually riding a Paso Fino, Patricia is gaining wide recognition for her original artworks, specializing in Equine Digital Painting inspired by Paso Finos. The artwork entitled “Stallion Strides” that appears in her current ad (see page 13), & based on a photo by Roland of Patricia with her outstanding stallion Contratercero a/k/a Bud, just won 1st Place in the contest “Getting There Desaturated” sponsored by “Desaturated” & hosted by Valerie Paterson. (For the artistically uninformd, “desaturated” means “without color.”) Among her other recent sales of her digitial artworks are “Autumn Memories- The Dreams of Children” based on Patricia’s photo of Sofia Ditullio riding her new Paso Fino mare Preciosa, & the image entitled “Full Speed Ahead,” a dramatic portrait of Preciosa & her filly Coco, also based on photos by Patricia.
You can view Paticia’s Original Artworks online at http://patriciakellerpka.weebly.com/, & you can shop for her work right from Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/PKAPublications or at http://fineartinternational.com/profiles/patricia-keller.html.
You can view online the extraordinary Paso Fino horses that inspire Patricia’s artwork & actually acquire one at The Paso Fino Horse Farm itself. To find out more, call Patricia at 518-299-3103 or go to PasoFinoHorseFarm.weebly.com or www.facebook.com/PasoFinoHorseFarm.
JOIN/REJOIN THE GHA•JOIN/REJOIN
• The GHA invites ANYONE & EVERYONE with an interest in horses, gaited or not, to join. For the Membership Year NOW through October 31, 2015 memberships are $20. Please see page 11 for the Membership Application. Join or renew your membership, network with fellow members, & get a whole bunch of great bonuses, including:
VENDOR DISCOUNTS FOR GHA MEMBERS
• MOORE’s MOTEL, Main Street (NYS Rte. 23), Prattsville, NY, discounts room rates for members 10% for a 1-night stay, 20% for 2 or more nights. For reservations, call 800-675-0626 or 518-299-3404.
• J.P.’s NORTH, 10251 NYS Route 32, Greenville, NY, offers members a 15% discount on NON-SALE items of English or Western gear. Call 800-237-4488.
• All GHA members receive a 25% discount on ANY advertising, whether for personal or business needs, in addition to the FREE CLASSIFIED in the GHA Newsletter, in PKA’s ADVOCATE. For details, call 518-299-3103.
FREE CLASSIFIED ADVERTISEMENTS
• GHA members get 1 FREE 20-word classified ad Per Issue for the membership year to buy or sell items or services having to do with horses. Ad copy can be changed with each issue. Deadline for ad information is 2 weeks prior to issue publication dates (see page 4 for those dates).
MEMBERS’ CLASSIFIED ADVERTISEMENTS
•WELCH REALTY: selection of homes & farms for horse people & regular folks. 518-263-5161 (Hunter, NY)
•ANDREW ELSBREE, CERTIFIED JOURNEYMAN FARRIER: handmade shoes & performance trims for multiple disciplines, serving NY’s Capital Region & Hudson Valley. 518-755-4627 (Freehold, NY)
•PASO FINOS FOR SALE: Saddlebrook Acres Paso Finos always has a great selection of well-bred, smooth gaited, registered Paso Finos at affordable prices. 518-872-1382 (East Berne, NY)
•HACIENDA DE LA ROCA PASO FINOS: standing Rayito de la Roca for 2013 breeding; sales, all-breed boarding, lessons, & pony rides (by app’t.); home of Grand National Champion Pleasure Stallion Capitanejo. 607-588-7567 & 607-437-8040 (Gilboa, NY)
•FRISBEE AGENCY, FARM FAMILY INSURANCE: 1-stop shopping for your equine insurance program, hosting quarterly revolving art shows at their offices on Main Street. 518-943-3333 (Catskill, NY)
•RHINE SIREN EQUESTRIAN: dressage focused boarding, lesson & training facility, 72’ x 200’ indoor arena, 45 minutes from HITS, private lessons available, riding camps July-August, warmbloods for sale. 518-821-3231, www.rhinesiren.com (Gilboa, NY)
•MOUNTAIN BROOK FARM: pasture & 12’ x 12’ matted stall boarding, training, instruction for all breeds & disciplines, reasonable rates, scenic trails, breeding Peruvian Horses. 518-734-3917 (Ashland, NY)
•ANTIQUE BUGGY, 4 carriage wheels on axles, Bona Allen saddle, buckstitched bridle, matching reins & breastcollar, hunt seat saddle, dressage saddle, pad, bridle, & fittings. 518-966-8629 (Greenville, NY)
•HUGE INVENTORY OF ENGLISH & WESTERN tack & clothing, always great prices, & discounts for GHA members at J.P.’s North, NYS Route 32, Greenville. 800-237-4488.
•ALL-BREED BOARDING & TRAINING, lessons in English & Western, & quality horses for sale at Goss’s Hosses. 518-827-6540 (Middleburgh, NY)
•HORSE PEOPLE! NEED HELP WITH YOUR TAXES? Call Helmedach & Young– we’re both tax experts & horse people. 518-943-2000 (Catskill, NY)
•DOUBLE-REGISTERED PASO FINO/GAITED HORSE stallions with the fine gait, outstanding beauty, lovable character, & bloodlines of Contratercero a/k/a/ Bud. PasoFinoHorseFarm.weebly.com or www.facebook.com/PasoFinoHorseFarm518-299-3103 (Prattsville, NY)******