• GHA congratulations to GHA member Lisa D. Mann of Saddlebrook Acres Paso Fino Farm, East Berne, NY, on the recent acquisition of the 17-year-old Paso Fino mare Capella. Due to circumstances beyond her control, Capella was in need of a new home. Due to circumstances only a Paso Fino lover could understand, Lisa stepped up to provide that home, adding Capella to her not inconsiderable herd. It’s like the guy said, “Paso Finos are an addiction.”
• In the best tradition of equestrianism, GHA member Doris Monahan of Leeds, NY, is passing on her love of horses to her 2-year-old great-granddaughter Chloie with the purchase of Chloie’s very own mount, the mini Payla. Underscoring Doris’s enthusiasm, Chloie won a blue ribbon at the Greenville FFA Horse Show, “The first of many, I hope,” according to Doris.
While busy ensuring this legacy, Doris was sorry that she didn’t ride her 14-year-old Paso Fino gelding Fortunado Contratercero, a/k/a Rico, as much this year as in other years, “but Rico is so good,” she says, he was busy himself working as a lesson horse at GHA member Nancy Partridge’s Mountain Brook Farm in Ashland, NY.
Not to be outdone by her cousin Rico, Doris’s mare MF Majestuosa, a/k/a Mariah, carried new rider Alyssa Wickham to a Junior Reserve Championship at Alyssa’s first FFA horse show.
As Doris puts it, “It’s great to get the next generation to love horses like we do.” (Amen to that.)
• GHA member Lillian Helmedach of Helmedach & Young, Inc., Tax Preparers, knows her interest in horses is being passed along to younger generations. Lillian’s daughter Tracey DelVecchio, an accomplished equestrienne herself, is teaching her daughter Peyton to ride on Peyton’s pony Prancer (try saying that 5 times quickly!).
Not only are Tracey & Peyton enjoying the enterprise, Prancer is, too, wanting to stop to visit at the neighbor’s house along the way. He’s also gone off into a field, prompting Tracey, who is pregnant with a son to be named Caden, to have to run after them. According to Peyton, “Poor Caden is getting bounced around in there when Mommy has to run after us.” So next time, Tracey will be riding along with Prancer on the warmblood Paz.
• In her role as executive directrix of Goss’s Hosses, located on Earles Road in Middleburgh, NY, GHA member Bonnie Goss officially declared a week off for all the horses during that unbelievably cold stretch of January when folks all over the northeast thought they were seeing penguins running around. She & her compatriots did, however, do good riding a lot right up till then.
Just ahead of the severe cold, Renee South’s mare Chancy was returned to her home in Round Top after a couple of months at Goss’s Hosses while Kandi Cooke’s Texas, Molly, & Houston arrived so that Kandi can head to Florida.
Bonnie is happy to report that she bought “an adorable little Quarter Horse named Kaycee from Kandis Sisson. She is cute as a button.” (Question: who’s the cutie, Kandis or Kaycee?) The purchase has helped ease the pain of Bonnie’s recent losses of Moe & Flash. Now Bonnie has visions of a little foal running around, & she and Kaycee may be looking for a colorful “husband prospect,” most likely an Appaloosa or Paint stallion. So if you are an Appaloosa or Paint stallion, have your person call Bonnie at 518-827-6540.
• GHA member & GHA supporter JP’s North, Inc., 10251 NYS Route 32, Greenville, NY, purveyors of English & Western tack & attire, is starting the 2015 auction schedule with a Small Animal Auction on March 15. Miscellaneous items & critters for the auction will be accepted beginning at 9 AM, & the auction starts at 10:30 AM. For complete information & in case of inclement weather, call JP’s at 800-237-4488.
• Except for the polar bears, everyone else agrees with GHA member Nancy Partridge of Mountain Brook Farm, Partridge Road, Ashland, NY, that this winter is (so far, anyway) not as bad as last winter. She is looking forward to spring, summer, & great riding weather, & is already planning for snowless times. Among those plans is the very first time Mountain Brook Farm will be hosting an American Competitive Trail Horse Competition on Saturday, July 18. Sign-ups have already started & will continue until the week before the competition. A percentage of the proceeds will benefit Rosemary Farm Sanctuary, South Kortright, NY.
Also planned for summer 2015, Mountain Brook will be offering the regular children’s horse day camps for kids 8 years old & older, plus half-day horse camps for kids 4 to 7 years old. Kids will have the opportunity to ride every day, learn all sorts of stuff about horses, & get to do a variety of other fun horse activities.
Reconvening at the Farm during their winter break from higher education, trainer Samantha Simpfenderfer was home from Cazenovia College & “barn girl” Jane Rion was home from SUNY Brockport. They & “barn girl” Olivia Kornbrek who is home attending WAJ Central School got to ride their horses despite the cold weather (ah, youth!)
For the whole story on all of what Mountain Brook offers, for details on the Trail Competition, or to board your horse at the Farm, call Nancy at 518-734-3917. You can also follow the goings-on at Mountain Brook on Facebook.
• GHA members Judy, Harry, & Marilyn Wyckoff of Hacienda de la Roca Paso Finos, located at 186 Wyckoff Road, Gilboa, NY, have a variety of outstanding Paso Finos available for purchase. Topping the list is the 2001 PFHA Grand National Champion Pleasure Stallion Capitanejo de Sun Haven. The beautiful 1998 dun stallion can be ridden lightly & stood to stud, & prospective buyers are invited to make an offer.
Offered at a very affordable $1500, the 1999 grey mare Maravilla de la Hacienda would make a solid companion horse & can be ridden, but she does not like to be ridden in large groups.
The 2007 dark bay mare Estrellita de la Roca is a real fancy mount that can be ridden by any skill level & has a true pleasure gait, not to mention a blue ribbon won under Judy’s guidance in Amateur Owner competition.
To meet these well-gaited, well-bred Paso Finos, call Judy, Harry, or Marilyn at 607-588-7567 or 607-437-8040 or go to firstname.lastname@example.org
JOIN/REJOIN THE GHA•JOIN/REJOIN
• The GHA invites ANYONE & EVERYONE with an interest in horses, gaited or not, to join. For the Membership Year NOW through October 31, 2015 memberships are $20. Please see page 13 for the Membership Application. Join or renew your membership, network with fellow members, & get a whole bunch of great bonuses, including:
VENDOR DISCOUNTS FOR GHA MEMBERS
• MOORE’s MOTEL, Main Street (NYS Rte. 23), Prattsville, NY, discounts room rates for members 10% for a 1-night stay, 20% for 2 or more nights. For reservations, call 800-675-0626 or 518-299-3404.
• J.P.’s NORTH, 10251 NYS Route 32, Greenville, NY, offers members a 15% discount on NON-SALE items of English or Western gear. Call 800-237-4488.
• All GHA members receive a 25% discount on ANY advertising, whether for personal or business needs, in addition to the FREE CLASSIFIED in the GHA Newsletter, in PKA’s ADVOCATE. For details, call 518-299-3103.
FREE CLASSIFIED ADVERTISEMENTS
• GHA members get 1 FREE 20-word classified ad Per Issue for the membership year to buy or sell items or services having to do with horses. Ad copy can be changed with each issue. Deadline for ad information is 2 weeks prior to issue publication dates (see page 4 for those dates).
MEMBERS’ CLASSIFIED ADVERTISEMENTS
•WELCH REALTY: selection of homes & farms for horse people & regular folks. 518-263-5161 (Hunter, NY)
•PASO FINOS FOR SALE: Saddlebrook Acres Paso Finos always has a great selection of well-bred, smooth gaited, registered Paso Finos at affordable prices. 518-872-1382 (East Berne, NY)
•ANDREW ELSBREE, CERTIFIED JOURNEYMAN FARRIER: handmade shoes & performance trims for multiple disciplines, serving NY’s Capital Region & Hudson Valley. 518-755-4627 (Freehold, NY)
•HACIENDA DE LA ROCA PASO FINOS: standing Rayito de la Roca for 2013 breeding; sales, all-breed boarding, lessons, & pony rides (by app’t.); home of Grand National Champion Pleasure Stallion Capitanejo. 607-588-7567 & 607-437-8040 (Gilboa, NY)
•FRISBEE AGENCY, FARM FAMILY INSURANCE: 1-stop shopping for your equine insurance program, hosting quarterly revolving art shows at their offices on Main Street. 518-943-3333 (Catskill, NY)
•RHINE SIREN EQUESTRIAN: dressage focused boarding, lesson & training facility, 72’ x 200’ indoor arena, 45 minutes from HITS, private lessons available, riding camps July-August, warmbloods for sale. 518-821-3231, www.rhinesiren.com (Gilboa, NY)
•MOUNTAIN BROOK FARM: pasture & 12’ x 12’ matted stall boarding, training, instruction for all breeds & disciplines, reasonable rates, scenic trails, breeding Peruvian Horses. 518-734-3917 (Ashland, NY)
•ANTIQUE BUGGY, 4 carriage wheels on axles, Bona Allen saddle, buckstitched bridle, matching reins & breastcollar, hunt seat saddle, dressage saddle, pad, bridle, & fittings. 518-966-8629 (Greenville, NY)
•HUGE INVENTORY OF ENGLISH & WESTERN tack & clothing, always great prices, & discounts for GHA members at J.P.’s North, NYS Route 32, Greenville. 800-237-4488.
•ALL-BREED BOARDING & TRAINING, lessons in English & Western, & quality horses for sale at Goss’s Hosses. 518-827-6540 (Middleburgh, NY)
•HORSE PEOPLE! NEED HELP WITH YOUR TAXES? Call Helmedach & Young– we’re both tax experts & horse people. 518-943-2000 (Catskill, NY)
•DOUBLE-REGISTERED PASO FINO/GAITED HORSE stallions with the fine gait, outstanding beauty, lovable character, & bloodlines of Contratercero a/k/a/ Bud. 518-299-3103 https://www.facebook.com/PasoFinoHorseFarm http://pasofinohorsefarm.weebly.com/ (Prattsville, NY)