• GHA congratulations to GHA member Lisa D. Mann of Saddlebrook Acres Paso Finos, Saddlebrook Road, East Berne, NY, on her recent acquisition of the remarkably gorgeous & well-gaited 14-year-old red bay Paso Fino gelding Contrastar Contratercero, a son of Contratercero a/k/a Bud & Susquehannah Star.
• GHA member Bonnie Goss of Goss’s Hosses, Earles Road, Middleburgh, NY, had a very busy summer with lots of big & little kids riding big & little horses, & now she’s looking forward to some great rides in the cooler, “no-fly zone” autumn.
Riding students Livey & Kiersten Mickle, Bridget & Therese Henry, & Nicole Barnes got ready for their FFA Horse Show in Greenville in late September by shining up their saddles & giving beauty treatments to their horses, as well as honing their riding skills.
Grown-up former Goss’s Hosses riding student Jeremy McDermott came back to Goss’s to ride with that old gang of his while home for a week in September between jobs. Jeremy had been working at a Quarter Horse hunter/jumper stable in Texas during the blazing hot summer, but now that the weather is about to turn cold, he’s come back North to a job in Connecticut at a stable that specializes in Western Quarter Horse, the seat of his choice.
Long-time Goss’s regular Katie Anthony, who started riding at Goss’s Hosses when she was a very little girl (& who has a better perspective on this North/South Summer/Winter stuff than does Jeremy) has moved from Middleburgh to Ocala, FL, a town filled with horses & stables of all types (not to mention some people, too). She quickly found a barn at which to ride that trains & shows futurity barrel racing horses (fast barrels, faster horses).Bonnie plans to visit Katie in October (& stay till May?) when Bonnie drives her mother to Florida. To hitch a ride to Florida before winter strikes, or to learn what Goss’s Hosses really has to offer, call Bonnie at 518-827-6540.
• GHA member Frisbee Agency, representative for Farm Family Insurance, located at 384B Main Street, Catskill, NY, is calling for entries for the new art exhibit Harvest Time on the theme of the harvest season. Eligible media include paintings, drawings, photos, collages, framed art, & small sculpture. Deadline for entries is October 15, with entries accepted for display being received from October 15 to 19. Photos of prospective entries may be dropped off or mailed to the Frisbee Agency, attention Jill Lamanec, or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The exhibit, juried by Laura Garramone & the Frisbee Agency in cooperation with the Greene County Council on the Arts, will be open at the Frisbee Agency Main Street office from October 19 through December 6, with the opening reception on October 19 from 4 to 6 PM.
The exhibit Horses, Horses, Horses, examples from which grace the cover page of this issue of PKA’s Advocate, remains on display until October 18 at the office.
For full details on the show, including hours, & the artists, call Jill Lamanec at 518-943-3333, or email to email@example.com or to Laura Garramone at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• GHA member Marilyn Wyckoff of Hacienda de la Roca Paso Finos, Wyckoff Road, Gilboa, NY, is pleased to report that she & the entire Hacienda crew have had a great summer for riding, & are still trail riding a lot.
On the business front, the Hacienda has 2 new boarders, Figaro & Ambassador, Morgan geldings owned by Kathy Hanna of Windham, NY. Riding lessons are ongoing. For details on all of the Hacienda’s offerings, contact Marilyn at 607-588-7567 & 607-437-8040.
• GHA member Carly Rose Palazzolo of Long Island, NY, has lodged her off-track 13-year-old Thoroughbred gelding J.P. at the Equine Rescue League of Cooperstown, NY, until his adoption by a loving family. Having been denervated due to navicular, J.P. is pasture sound but his riding work has to be limited to giving pony rides to small children. However, his intelligence, playfulness, & all-around good natured disposition are not limited. If you are interested in adopting a sweet & loving companion horse, contact Carly Rose about J.P. at 516-647-0375, or email CarlyRose1022@gmail.com or on Facebook at www.facebook.com/cpalazzolo2.
Meanwhile, Carly Rose is back in the saddle, this time on her new 7-year-old American Warmblood she has named Lexington after the Greene County town where she grew up & from where she has many fond memories.
• GHA member Lorelei Zuniga, of Rhine Siren Equestrian, a classical dressage focused boarding, lesson, & training facility, located at 790 State Route 990V, Gilboa, NY, offers a 72’ x 200’ indoor arena plus a 66’ x 198’ outdoor arena. The facility’s adult & children’s beginner through advanced/4th level instruction program continues through the winter with all disciplines welcome.
A mere 20 minutes from Windham, NY, & 45 minutes from HITS in Saugerties, NY, Rhine Siren Equestrian currently has a few stalls available for boarders. For details, call 518-821-3231 or go to www.rhinesiren.com.
• GHA member & author & artist Deb Tompkins of Greenville, NY, has a rather unique wish-list, including a cheap late 80s or early 90s Chevy pickup, preferably an extended cab 4x4 Silverado, for parts, & a horse collar for her larger-than-life horse Q for whom a 22” collar “was way too small” & for whom she thinks a 30” would do.
While the weather permitted, Deb’s had Q out almost every day catching up on trail work. She’s been using 1 of her trail course devices as a mounting block, having trained Q to sidle up close to whatever she climbs onto & stand perfectly still till its time to move.
With the holidays looming, Deb is taking orders for wreaths with 4 to 8 kinds of evergreens, natural &/or faux trims, in several colors & combinations, for $25, available starting November 1, & for catnip rats. Hand-sewn & stuffed with organic catnip from head to tip of tail, big enough to wrestle & light enough to carry, in a wide choice of colors, for only $5, these are “a puddy cat’s dream come true– catisfaction guaranteed.”
To order wreaths & catnip rats, or for any of the horse equipment, from saddles to a buggy, that Deb has for sale, call Deb at 518-966-8629.
• GHA member & GHA supporter JP’s North, Inc., 10251 NYS Route 32, Greenville, NY, purveyors of English & Western tack & attire, has Small Animal Auctions on October 6, November 3, & December 1. Auctions begin at 10:30 AM. Miscellaneous merchandise is taken at every sale & auctioned before the animals. Call ahead, at 800-237-4488, in case of inclement weather.
For full details, or to have small animals (no hippos, please) or merchandise included, call 800-237-4488.
• In August, GHA member, American Hoof Association Certified barefoot hoof care specialist, Equine Sciences Academy Field Instructor, & EasyCare Official Dealer Geri White of Middleburgh, NY, was asked to help some of the horses in the Unity Ride, a trail ride & parade in & around Woodstock, NY. Part Cherokee & active in her Native American traditions, Geri was honored to help in this journey for unity, peace, & the quest to bring awareness of Native American rights, culture, & sacred lands. Donating her time & EasyCare boots, she fit trail boots on Cash, a paint mare, & on Sally, a bay mare, & put glove boots on Rudy, Chief Gus High Eagle’s horse. Geri was welcomed into the prayer circle &, after, was invited to share a meal. Once the ride began, Geri followed the horses from the base camp at the Woodstock Riding Club to the town to make sure everything was going well, & made an adjustment for Rudy before the parade.
Geri’s last clinic of the season, held Sept. 28 & 29 at Lock, Stock & Barrel, a new feed store & education center in Bethany, CT, featured Geri (duh) on Whole Horse Hoof Care, plus equine dentist Wendy Bryant on natural balance equine dentistry, Dr. Jill Esz-Smith, DC, on chiropractic & sports therapy, & Ron & Doris Bouchard from Equissage on massage & body work. This was a free event sponsored by Native Hoof, Ravenhill Equine Wellness Center for Education & Equissage.
Recently, Geri was interviewed on The Naturally Healthy Horse blog by Casie Bazay. The 2-part interview is on her homepage www.nativehoof.com.
During this winter, Geri is planning to offer classes online & at various locations on DIY fecal egg counts & on natural alternatives to managing parasites. To get on Geri’s mailing list for up-to-date information on whatever Geri is offering, contact Geri’s event coordinator Michelle Hall at email@example.com, or call Geri at 518-827-3181 or at 607-437-7993.
• GHA member Nancy Partridge of Mountain Brook Farm, Partridge Road, Ashland, NY, thanks everyone who stepped in to help with the Farm & who sent condolences during the difficult time of the passing of her father, Burdette Dewell III, on July 13.
On the joyful side is the July 2 birth of Caballero Valiente which is Chinese (or maybe Spanish) for ‘Brave Knight,’ a first for both the sire, Bohemio Magnifico, & for the dam, Catarina Oscura, a/k/a Bo & Reina.
On July 27, the Farm’s ‘Barn Girls’ Olivia Kornbrek, Jane Rion, & Sammi Simpfenderfer cleaned up (get it?) at the Greene County Youth Fair Horse Show. In this, her 2nd show, Jane won 9 blues, 2 reds, Games Champion Trophy & ribbon, Best of Show Trophy & ribbon, Senior Western Champion Trophy & ribbon, & Reserve Champion Showman, all riding on Pal. Also her 2nd show, Olivia won 11 blue ribbons & Reserve Junior Western Champion, riding Holly. In their first ever show, Sammi & her horse Amir won 9 blue ribbons, 4 red ribbons, & Senior Western Reserve Champion.
The Farm had a great group of campers this summer, & many of them keep coming back to visit their favorite horses & to schedule more lessons before, as Nancy puts it, “winter (that dirty 6-letter word) shuts us down.” Undeterred, some are already planning to attend summer horse camp in 2014.
Keep in mind the fall season is great for riding– “nice crisp days, beautiful foliage, & no flies.” Nancy welcomes everyone to join the Farm gang for lessons, trail rides, or both. Just call ahead to schedule a time that works best for you, & there is still space available for either or both indoor & outdoor boarding for your horse. For details, call Nancy at 518-734-3917.
JOIN/REJOIN THE GHA•JOIN/REJOIN
• The GHA invites ANYONE & EVERYONE with an interest in horses, gaited or not, to join. For the Membership Year NOW through October 31, 2014 memberships are $20. Please see page 13 for the Membership Application. Join or renew your membership, network with fellow members, & get a whole bunch of great bonuses, including:
VENDOR DISCOUNTS FOR GHA MEMBERS
• MOORE’s MOTEL, Main Street (NYS Rte. 23), Prattsville, NY, discounts room rates for members 10% for a 1-night stay, 20% for 2 or more nights. For reservations, call 800-675-0626 or 518-299-3404.
• J.P.’s NORTH, 10251 NYS Route 32, Greenville, NY, offers members a 15% discount on NON-SALE items of English or Western gear. Call 800-237-4488.
• All GHA members receive a 25% discount on ANY advertising, whether for personal or business needs, in addition to the FREE CLASSIFIED in the GHA Newsletter, in PKA’s ADVOCATE. For details, call 518-299-3103.
FREE CLASSIFIED ADVERTISEMENTS
• GHA members get 1 FREE 20-word classified ad Per Issue for the membership year to buy or sell items or services having to do with horses. Ad copy can be changed with each issue. Deadline for ad information is 2 weeks prior to issue release (see page 4 for dates).
MEMBERS’ CLASSIFIED ADVERTISEMENTS
•COMPANION HORSE FOR ADOPTION: JP, 13-year-old off-track Thoroughbred gelding, funny & sweet, enjoys giving pony rides to small children. 516-647-0375 (Long Island, NY)
•PASO FINOS FOR SALE: Saddlebrook Acres Paso Finos always has a great selection of well-bred, smooth gaited, registered Paso Finos at affordable prices. 518-872-1382 (East Berne, NY)
•TESSALOO VETERINARY SERVICES, PLLC: Heather O’Leary, DVM, CVA, CVSMT: certified veterinary acupuncturist & spinal manipulative therapist for conventional veterinary services & equine & small animal acupuncture & chiropractic. 845-399-9844 (Stone Ridge, NY)
•HACIENDA DE LA ROCA PASO FINOS: standing Rayito de la Roca for 2013 breeding; sales, all-breed boarding, lessons, & pony rides (by app’t.); home of Grand National Champion Pleasure Stallion Capitanejo. 607-588-7567 & 607-437-8040 (Gilboa, NY)
•HORSESURROUNDS: indoor arenas, barns, stalls, & barn accessories, representative for WeCover Indoor Arenas, MD Barnmaster, Triton Barn Systems, Saratoga & Lucas Stalls, StableComfort stall mattresses, Pavesafe Rubber Pavers, rubber flooring, Kraft Horse Walkers, free estimates. 315-480-7586 (Waterloo & Sherburne, NY)
•BIG RED’S EQUINE DENTISTRY: Deanna Marlow, IAED/C, Getting your horses’ minds out of their mouths; by appointment only. firstname.lastname@example.org, WWW.BIGREDSDENTAL.COM, 315-481-3606
•STAR H EQUINE INSURANCE for Farm/Ranch Property Insurance, Liability Insurance, & Horse Insurance, over 35 years of insurance experience from active, knowledgeable horse people. 877-827-4480 (Advance, NC)
•FRISBEE AGENCY, FARM FAMILY INSURANCE: 1-stop shopping for your equine insurance program, hosting quarterly revolving art shows at their offices on Main Street. 518-943-3333 (Catskill, NY)
•SHADOWROCK EQUINE VETERINARY SERVICES: broad range of equine veterinary services including lay-ups & medical boarding under direct veterinary supervision & emergency service. 607-432-5721 [emergencies: 607-431-8680] (Oneonta, NY)
•DURHAM VALLEY FARM BOARDING: large stalls, daily turnout, large wooden paddocks, best nutrition, full & rough board, layups, retired, & active equines. 518-634-7003 (East Durham, NY)
•RHINE SIREN EQUESTRIAN: dressage focused boarding, lesson & training facility, 72’ x 200’ indoor arena, 45 minutes from HITS, stalls currently available, warmbloods for sale. 518-821-3231, www.rhinesiren.com (Gilboa, NY)
•MOUNTAIN BROOK FARM: pasture & 12’ x 12’ matted stall boarding, training, instruction for all breeds & disciplines, reasonable rates, scenic trails, breeding Peruvian Horses. 518-734-3917 (Ashland, NY)
•ANTIQUE BUGGY, 4 carriage wheels on axles, Bona Allen saddle, buckstitched bridle, matching reins & breastcollar, hunt seat saddle, dressage saddle, pad, bridle, & fittings. 518-966-8629 (Greenville, NY)
•BAREFOOT HOOF CARE by Geri White, natural trimming & rehabilitation, Equine Sciences Academy Practitioner. email@example.com & www.nativehoof.com. 518-827-3181 (Middleburgh, NY)
•HOUSE FOR RENT AT PROMISES KEPT EQUINE RETIREMENT FARM: 2 bedrooms, 2 baths, office, dining area, fireplace, porch, garage, $900/month, optional horse boarding. www.promiseskept.org & 518-287-1870 (Summit, NY)
•HUGE INVENTORY OF ENGLISH & WESTERN tack & clothing, always great prices, & discounts for GHA members at J.P.’s North, NYS Route 32, Greenville. 800-237-4488.
•ALL-BREED BOARDING & TRAINING, lessons in English & Western, & quality horses for sale at Goss’s Hosses. 518-827-6540 (Middleburgh, NY)
•HORSE PEOPLE! NEED HELP WITH YOUR TAXES? Call Helmedach & Young– we’re both tax experts & horse people. 518-943-2000 (Catskill, NY)
•DOUBLE-REGISTERED PASO FINO/GAITED HORSE stallions & mares with the fine gait, outstanding beauty, lovable character, & bloodlines of Contratercero a/k/a/ Bud. http://PasoFinoHorseFarm.weebly.com 518-299-3103 (Prattsville, NY) ******